Tuesday, February 19, 2013

18-35 Year Olds Use Credit Cards Less

When I turned 18, I couldn't wait to get a credit card. I was psyched the day that it arrived in the mail; I think that I went shopping with it the very next day. However, that does not mean that I was irresponsible with it. I understood that this was money that I had to pay back. I always paid more than the minimum every month and I was never late with it. During my early 20s I carried around about $3000 of credit card debt and then I paid it off. I haven't had any credit card debt since.

I was surprised when I read that debit cards are the more favored payment method over credit cards. Only 59% of 18-35 year olds use credit cards; in the "senior" population that number is 70%. So what's going on here? Is the younger generation smarter or less responsible? Or do they think they can't handle the responsibility of a credit card?

As of right now, I am still within the 18-35 year old bracket (Kudos to the news article that said this bracket was "young adults" - thank you!) and my husband and I almost exclusively use a credit card for everything. Groceries, gas, medical bills, vehicle registrations, almost everything we possibly can. We do this because we can afford to pay off the balance each and every month and collect rewards points for all of our purchases. Last year we were able to get almost $600 in rewards back which we put toward our Christmas purchases. It was awesome!

Credit cards can be your friend as long as you don't abuse them.

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you

    Gift Cards For Less

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I read that debit cards are the more favored payment method over credit cards.I was surprised when I read that debit cards are the more favored payment method over credit cards.good tips...

    Merchant credit card processing

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    I was looking for information about payment processing online or a Payment Gateway Provider any other possible way to charge clients online on my website.
    Currently I am working part-time in one of such companies and I found your blog.

    Can you please clarify a little bit, what did you mean when you said " "senior" population that number is 70%."?

    That is a nice blog, I should add it to favs, I think.

    Best regards,
    Dmitry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, yes sure credit card use any person but be carefully credit card payment processing help through of customer care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's just a proper handling and use of credit cards to avoid penalty and gain freebies. Informative post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Information provided regarding best credit card processing services is very useful for credit card processing thanks and please update these info regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most of the people prefer to use credit cards because of easy and secure payments. Businesses should provide best credit card processing services to their customers for making trust and getting more customers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our changed online bit door arrangements can make headway in courses of action methods and a clearer client encounter for your customers. Here are possible results for credit card processing solutions, charge card dealing with courses of action, electronic segment approaches and comprehensive part blueprints.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Information provided regarding best credit card processing services is very useful, these info sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The India online Pay Transactions are secure. Users can make the payment within Seconds, and all the payment information is encrypted under PCI DSS Compliance

    ReplyDelete
  13. A high-level post with a piece of knowledgeable information.Thank you for sharing such information. Vehicleyard

    ReplyDelete